|The OHSAS 18000 series of standards that includes OHSAS
18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
(OHSMS) grew out of the international success of the ISO
9000 and ISO 14000 series of Standards and the need for
managing safety in the work environment. This Standard
was created from the British Standard for Occupational
Health and Safety Management Systems BS 8800:1996. In
addition to the OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and
Safety Management Specifications there is a guidance
document in this series known as OHSAS 18002:2000
Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
Guidelines for the implementation of OHSAS 18001.
Organizations self certify or register to only the OHSAS
What are OHSAS 18001 and OHSAS 18002?
OHSAS 18001 is an assessment specification for
Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It
was developed in response to the need for companies to
meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient
To compliment OHSAS 18001, BSI published OHSAS 18002,
which explains the requirements of the specification and
shows you how to work towards implementation and
Together, this integrated package will provide your
business with the practical means of registration: -
- Identify elements of your business that impact on health
and safety and gain access to the relevant legislation
- Produce objectives for improvement and a management
program to achieve them, with regular reviews for
- BSI Management Systems will periodically assess the
system and, if compliant, register your company or site
to OHSAS 18001
What is an Occupational Health and Safety Management
An Occupational Health and Safety Management System
provides a framework for managing OHS responsibilities
so they become more efficient and more integrated into
overall business operations.
OHS Management systems are based on standards, which
specify a process of achieving continuously improved OHS
performance and complying with legislation. BSI
Management Systems offers registration to the
internationally recognised assessment specification
OHSAS 18001 (which was based on the original British
Standard BS 8800).
Registration can: -
- Reduce risk
- Give competitive advantages
- Help companies stay in compliance with legal
- Improve overall performance
Benefits of OHSAS 18001
ISO 18001 help organizations improve health and safety at work place to:
- Results in better planned and ongoing management of health and safety risks.
- Improve operational performance through policies and procedures.
- Increase access to new customers and business partners through an improved corporate image.
- Reduce costs associated with accidents and illness.
- Increase control of regulatory issues.
- Reduce risk of citations and penalties.
- Potentially reduce insurance costs.
- Reduce work-related accidents and illness.
Who can use the Program?
You may access consultation services if your business: -
- operates within the state of Idaho
- employs less than 250 employees at a single site
- employs fewer than 500 people nationally
- does not currently have an open OSHA compliance issue
What We Do
The certification program provides technical assistance
and training to your business as you work towards
correcting identified hazards. Also, our extensive
library of safety training videos and printed materials
is available to small businesses to support their safety
and health efforts.
The employer’s obligation is to correct all serious
hazards identified by the consultant within a reasonable
period. This commitment is made in advance.
As an additional benefit of working with us, OSHA staff
will not make scheduled inspection visits during the
time your business is working with the consultation